Required Online Training
Who needs to complete this training? All 9-month faculty who will receive summer salary and/or all administrators who will process summer salary.
Tell Me More!
Summer Salary refers to any earnings paid through NC State University for work performed by 9-month faculty during the period between May 16 through August 15. During the summer, a 9-month faculty member may be paid no more than a total of 33.33 % (based on 1.0 FTE equivalent) of his or her nine-month base salary from all sources of funds. Exceptions beyond the 33.33% summer-earnings maximum must be approved in advance by the Dean/Vice Chancellor (not his/her designee).
Faculty are limited to 90% of the summer earnings maximum ( 90% of 33.33% = 30% of AY base pay) from sponsored project sources. This limit reserves time during the summer term for such activities as teaching, service or administrative duties, development of grant proposals, or time off for personal activities. Exceptions beyond 90% of total summer effort on sponsored projects must be approved by the Dean/Vice Chancellor (not his/her designee) and must be in accordance with the terms and conditions of the project sponsor.
Some Points to Remember
- Faculty summer salary must be for work performed during the summer period (May 16 – August 15) and for work performed on the specific project to which the salary is being charged.
- The rate of pay for faculty summer salary charged to sponsored projects is based on the academic year base salary.
- Time taken for vacation may not be charged to sponsored projects, and is not compensated for faculty on nine month appointments.
- Salary received for summer effort not actually expended on a sponsored project, or for an amount of effort less that that originally anticipated, must be refunded to the sponsored project.
- A faculty member may not receive pay from sponsored projects for non-sponsored research activities. This includes preparing for or writing proposals for future funding and any other administrative duties. Writing technical reports for existing projects is allowable
- Standard Operating Procedures (PDF) — (Revised February 15, 2017) – Summer Salary for 9-Month Faculty from Sponsored Project Funds
- PRR: Additional Compensation Paid Through the University
- Additional Compensation Application System Instructions (PDF) dated 2-12-2015
- Summer Sessions Payments Instructions (PDF) updated 4-1-2016
- Note: These instructions are subject to change for Summer 2017
- Supplemental Pay: EPA Earnings Codes (PDF)
- DELTA Instructions (PDF)