Principal Investigator/Employee Responsibilities
- Communicating salary distribution information to department/college personnel so appropriate payroll distribution actions can be entered in a timely manner.
- Communicating salary distribution changes to department/college personnel as soon as they are known so appropriate distribution adjustments can be entered in a timely manner (within 90 days).
- Ensuring appropriateness and accuracy of all salary charged to their sponsored projects.
- Creating and maintaining documented policies and procedures for processing payroll actions including salary distributions and redistributions.
- Establishing personnel actions for monthly-paid, graduate student, and temporary employees in the University payroll system on a timely basis to ensure accurate payroll charges to sponsored projects.
- Coordinating retroactive payroll adjustments (redistributions) affecting sponsored projects or other pay sources to ensure that all adjustments to payroll charges are completed within the 90-day period allowed for changes.
- During the monthly project reconciliation process, reviewing salary distributions for appropriateness and accuracy of actual work activities and making any necessary adjustments.
- Completing the Out of Compliance Justification form for all redistributions affecting sponsored projects not processed within the 90-day period allowed for changes. The form and a copy of all monthly project reconciliations for the projects included in the redistribution must be submitted to the Office of Contracts and Grants for approval.
Office of Contracts and Grants Responsibilities
- Establishing internal and campus procedures for payroll redistributions which are consistent with the requirements of OMB Circular A-21.
- Monitoring College responsibilities related payroll redistributions to ensure University compliance.
- Reviewing and approving Out of Compliance Justification forms submitted for payroll redistributions not processed within the 90-day period allowed for changes.
- Providing assistance to College/Departmental Payroll Coordinators.
- Ensuring that the payroll redistribution system is functioning in accordance with established University policies and procedures.